So how do you keep your quality English leather tack looking like new? (Horses / Ponies / Riding Tack)
February 28th, 2018
Quality, handmade English leather like the Stephens’s range will last a lifetime if looked after. Leather products are a definite investment!
So how do you keep your quality English leather tack looking like new?
Unfortunately, tack cleaning is one of those jobs we just have to do. It might seem like a chore, but it keeps your pony or horse’s leather tack supple and hygienic. Giving your tack a thorough clean will also give you a chance to spot any weak points in the stitching or leather before they give way and cause an accident.
If you don’t regularly clean your horse’s tack, the leather will dry out, becoming brittle and uncomfortable for your horse to wear. A daily cleaning regime is far better than letting your tack deteriorate to a point where it is nearly impossible to restore, or poses a risk to you for safety reasons. The last thing you want is to be out riding or jumping and the saddle has disintegrated after a long period of neglect.
Cleaning Leather Tips-
- Never use an alcohol based product to clean mould on leather tack.
- Dust can collect in the smallest of cracks. Try to keep tack covered.
- Tack should be wiped down after every use.
- Unused tack should be cleaned at least once a month.
- Always dry tack well. Moisture can damage leather.
Not only should your tack be cleaned after every ride, it should also be stored correctly.
- Try to keep leather products away from severe weathers such as heavy rain or direct sunlight. All leather will eventually change colour, but this will help to slow the process. Try to store your tack in a dark area.
- Keep air moving in your tack room during the summer months. Stagnant air can attract mould growth.
- Always remember to store your wet tack away from your dry tack. Moisture can have damaging effects on leather.
- Try to keep your tack off the ground. Vermin can help to destroy leather.
Click HERE to see our leather range or tack and equipment for horse riding,